I’ve talked a lot about body image on this podcast. But I’ve never had an expert in the subject on the show… until now. And with the holiday cheer accompanied by the challenge of cookies, cakes, and other food and wine everywhere, I think now’s the perfect time for this conversation.
My guest Jenna Free has a ton of knowledge about eating disorders and body dysmorphia and acceptance. So I had to have her on to give her perspective and teach us a few things to help you navigate the holiday season.
But our conversation took an interesting turn I didn’t anticipate. We ended up discussing beauty culture a lot, in addition to body issues and how to navigate the unwanted comments and lack of boundaries from friends and family during holidays.
1:30 – A couple of tips for those who find this time of a year a challenge to get through
10:54 – A caveat before you listen to the interview
15:36 – Jenna introduces herself and her history with food and body image
17:34 – The biggest misconception about food addiction
18:50 – Diet and beauty culture as a patriarchal distraction for women
23:38 – How Jenna felt trapped in beauty culture even outside the body weight arena
27:56 – The link that exists between your love life and your body image
30:55 – Why dieting doesn’t work and refusing to comply with diet culture
33:27 – Finding a balance between releasing diet and beauty culture standards and taking care of your body
35:45 – How the skincare industry, and beauty culture in general, markets itself to women
42:56 – The time Jenna almost dipped her toes back into beauty culture
44:56 – Advice for dealing with body weight comments from friends and family this holiday season
49:25 – How to handle “overeating” during the holidays in a better way
51:16 – Jenna discusses her app and how helps people
56:04 – Setting boundaries to protect yourself (and future generations)
After you listen to How to Stop Dieting and Conforming to Patriarchal Beauty Standards, here are your next steps:
- Become a member of the UnDiet Your Mind app and use the code VERONICA for $5 off the yearly price or 50% off your first month. Follow the app on Instagram.
- Listen to episode 282: “How to Feel Worthy in Love at Any Body Size”
- Visit The Body Love Society website and follow it on Instagram.
- Visit Jessica DeFino’s website and follow Helen on Instagram @notyourmanicpixiedreamcurl.
- Feel at ease meeting people online, write a profile you’re proud of, and have a proven strategy to attract great potential partners online. If you want to make it work online, get my Conscious Online Dating Blueprint Workshop here.
- Join me for the on-demand workshop, The 5-Step Strategy to Banish Anxiety and Overwhelm in Your Love Life. If you have it all but love, you can attract a fulfilling partnership and live a life of purpose. Sign up here.
- Are you done with where you are right now? With my impactful introductory coaching session, you’ll walk away knowing exactly what’s blocking you in love. Learn more about working with me 1 on 1 and schedule your session here.
Finally, If you get value from the Love Life Connection, please rate & review it on Apple Podcasts. It only takes a sec to impact our ranking + it’ll help other women find our community!